Friday, September 22, 2006

 

one day in the life of a sower

It has been a while since I have written anything, so I suppose I should share about my day today. I had been meeting with a group in a government building on Friday mornings at 6AM until last week. Nobody in the group wanted to make a profession of faith, so the group ended. We are still friends, and they were sad that I left. The night watchman was always there, he said that he is not going to change his religion, and a couple ladies who are marginal members of a church from a different denomination, and the janitor, who has struggled with a difficult marriage. The janitor has likely benefited most in the group because she was open, and I gave her a book about divorce which was authored by a very well known and respected author. I am not sure what will happen with the people of the group, but I was not completing my goals by being there, so it was time to move on.

Last week after the Bible study, I met a man named Ramon. He is the accountant for a chain of bakeries in our city. After my Bible study, I would go there and eat an impanada and drink some orange juice. Although I didn't go to the 6AM Bible study today, I did go to the bakery and worked on memorizing a story for an upcoming camp next week. While I was there, Ramon came in and sat at my table. He had more questions than time to listen. He wanted to know why we were here, where our church was, how long we have been here, and how long we would stay. He wanted to know why we chose Paraguay, what we liked and didn't like about the country.

I have learned that self exposure is a pathway to trust. When we reveal ourselves, the people are more likely to accept us. When Ramon ran out of time, he left and said as he left until next time. It appeared that he was open to a friendship. I told him that my goal was to organize small groups and lead the into a discovery time with the Bible. He said that it would be difficult between now and February because of holidays and vacations. He is not a believer.

After I finished, I spent a large amount of time walking the streets, praying and visiting with a few that I know. I also worked more on the story that I will present at the camp next weekend. The story is long, and the time is short.

I also visited with a couple who just gave birth to another son, then I went to visit with a Christian who needs to follow the Lord in obedience. We talked about not forsaking the gatherings of the saints Heb. 10:25, and also the difference in how we are to have joy instead of strife.

This afternoon, we had a birthday party to attend. We met the couple shortly after our arrival to the country. They have three children, the youngest is three months old. Typically, birthday parties for young children are women's work. So I was the only guy there for most of the party. As darkness settled, some of the fathers/husbands appeared, and I had the opportunity to talk with a relative of the couple. He is frustrated with his church members because they are not reaching the country for Christ. I invited him to start a small group meeting in a home or public place. I anxiously await his answer.

Thanks for taking an interest in my ministry, thoughts and life.

Comments:
Donnie I read your note to
Wade Burleson this morning. I am glad to find your blog. I was a missionary to Uruguay from 1967 to 1980 and was good friends with Gail Joule. Was he still there when you arrived? I will pray that God will open up many new places for you in Paraguay. Dennis Treat in Enid, Oklahoma
 
I read your Blog today. Found you off of Guy's Blog. I was blessed as I read about your day. I thank God for your faithfulness. I know that sooner or later, because of your faithfulness God will work a CPM there.

I am just a regular guy in Phoenix AZ who desires the same thing you do. I am just beginning the journey. I have learned much, have much yet to learn. From where I am it is a great encouragement to read of a faithful brother about the King business!

Multiplied blessings to you!
 
Dennis,
Gail was my team leader for my first 6 months or so before he returned to the states. He's a good man. Thanks for praying for us.

thank you both for the prayers and best wishes. Darrell, in so many ways I feel that although I have been here 4 years, there is so much to learn about the people, the culture and my work. I'm so glad, because I am a pioneer. -smile-.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?